- As a spokesperson for Australian Prime Minister Turnbull announced another delay in holding the plebiscite on same-sex marriage, professor of human rights law Paula Gerber examined the negative impact that debating marriage equality is having on the region.
- Marriage equality has come to Antarctica as the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office announced plans to bring the British Antarctic Territory in line with domestic UK legislation.
- In the wake of Ireland’s marriage equality referendum, Irish youth group ‘BeLonG To’ urges the community to fight on-going homophobia and bullying.
- In a new survey the Ministry for Families and Youth in Austria found that although 48.5% of respondents personally felt positive about same-sex couples parenting children, 68.5% believed that society at large does not accept same-sex parents.
- And in Queensland, Australia new legislation will allow single people and same-sex couples to adopt children.
Unicorn Booty brings attentions to global issues of significance for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people. Our partnership with Equal Eyes, a news source produced in collaboration with UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, is part of that effort. To learn more, visit their site at Equal-Eyes.org.
This coverage promotes sexual and gender equality while highlighting issues of health, violence, culture, and legal and human rights. Equal Eyes provides advocates and allies a common frame of reference for the realities of global LGBTI communities. Through followup reporting and disseminating this coverage, our effort is to ensure we have a representation of the global stories that matter most or may have under-reporting.
(Featured image via Matt Biddulph/Flickr)